Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 21:22:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au (Stephen McKay)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, blk@skynet.be (Brad Knowles)
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

Stephen McKay wrote...
> On Friday, 10th December 1999, "Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:
> >Brad Knowles wrote...

> >> 	Long-term, yes I believe we gained a lot.  Short-term, what I
> >> recall having heard from some of the people who lived through it,
> >> well let's just say it was really ugly and nasty for a certain period
> >> of time.
> >
> >I don't think it was ugly and nasty at all.  You're basing your opinions
> >on second hand hearsay.  If you can produce specific examples of why it
> >was "really ugly and nasty", fine, but why not avoid making statements you
> >can't support?
>
> This must depend on your perspective.  My first hand view is that it was
> ugly and nasty.  This is because I lost support for hardware I was actively
> using (some temporarily, some permanently), and because I had no control
> over the pace of change.  For a bunch of reasons, there was no way I could
> keep up (and that meant porting old drivers to keep up).  It sure felt
> ugly to me.  The unnecessary renaming of device files made it worse.

I suppose it does depend on your perspective.  We gave people about a
year's worth of notice that some drivers would be going away unless someone
stepped forward to port them.  In most cases, no one stepped forward, and
in one notable case, someone did step forward but never delivered.

There was no way around the pace of the change -- it was an all or nothing
transition.

And as for the device renaming, you didn't have to change anything from
sd->da.  The old device names and nodes were supported in most every way.
There were a lot of mis-informed people on the lists who claimed that you
had to change your device names.  That was completely untrue, and I
attempted to correct people, but the myth and FUD continued to propagate.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org