Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:44:15 -0600
From:      "Jamie Hermans" <freebsd@hermans.ab.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Auto DMA vs. Manual DMA Settings... FBSD 3.51

Hiya...

I am having an issue with the wd driver (from FBSD 3.51).  Once a customer
kernel (having the flags 0xa0ffa0ff for wd) is booted, I get screen-full's
of this error message when there is any hard drive access:

   DMA failure, DMA status 5<active>

I can "slow down" or degrade my DMA settings in the BIOS to avoid this
message, but I'm sure I am taking a performance penalty in doing this.

For more history, please refer to:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?db=mid&id=19991220124638.B37447@web.net

... where this was covered back in December 1999 - I had hoped that this
would have been resolved by now.

System hardware - Maxtor UDMA66 drive, motherboard only supports UDMA33
however, so that's not really an issue.

My question ... can I use the ad driver from 4.x with 3.51-RELEASE?  This
problem doesn't occur under 4.0 or 4.1-RELEASE/STABLE.  If this is possible
... how?

Thanks for any thoughts (or even solutions) :)

Regards ... Jamie