Date:      Wed, 09 May 2001 12:38:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Otter <otterr@telocity.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: dump vs tar?

As pointed out in another response dump works on entire filesystems. The
advantage is that a dump can be restored unto a completely new disk. I use
dump (and restore) for cloning entire machines. A dumped /-partition is
bootable when restored on another disk. If that is not your goal (it isn't,
right?) you should stick to tar.