Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 16:02:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Doug McLaren <dougmc@comco.com>
To:        greg@smokey.prismnet.com (Greg Stringfellow)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND Question

Greg Stringfellow was tellin' me ...

(Hi Greg!)

| I've got a customer who is trying to send mail to a particular location. The
| hostname is "HPISD_ADMIN.HIGHLANDPARK.K12.TX.US". I remember reading
| somewhere about the underscores in a hostname not being valid. But I just
| can't seem  to track it down.

That is indeed correct.  It's probably in the relevant RFC, but I
certainly can't give you a number for it ...

| Now when on my 2.2 FreeBSD machines, I can nslookup that to get:
| Non-authoritative answer:
| Name:    HPISD_ADMIN.HIGHLANDPARK.K12.TX.US
| Address:  206.50.19.5
|
| But if I try to ping it, telnet to it, or even send mail to it I get:
|
| bash-2.00# ping HPISD_ADMIN.HIGHLANDPARK.K12.TX.US
| ping: unknown host HPISD_ADMIN.HIGHLANDPARK.K12.TX.US

I get the same behavior on my FreeBSD 2.2.2 machine.  Other OS's
appear to be fine with it.

It looks like the resolver libraries under FreeBSD 2.2.2 actually
enforce the `no _' rule.  Seems kind of wierd to do it there, however
- typically the rule of thumb is to be permissive in what you accept,
but restrictive in what you send ...

Addresses without a _ in their hostname work fine -

   % telnet PROXY.HIGHLANDPARK.K12.TX.US
   Trying 206.50.19.120...
   % telnet HPISD_ADMIN.HIGHLANDPARK.K12.TX.US
   HPISD_ADMIN.HIGHLANDPARK.K12.TX.US: Unknown host

My advice: mail them, tell them that _'s aren't valid in hostnames and
therefore they only work sometimes, and suggest that they change the
_'s to -'s.

--
Doug McLaren, dougmc@comco.com
Unsolicited email of a commercial or advertising nature is not welcomed.