Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 18:05:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Haney <michael@flyingcroc.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   LDAP module for PAM authentication.

I'd like to know if anyone has implemented the pam_ldap module and turned
authentication over to this directory service.  I'm installing OpenLDAP on
a FreeBSD 4.2 machine, and the PAM clients will be FreeBSD 3.2-4.1.1
boxes, and some NT boxes. I'd like to know how well this works as a
replacement to NIS and how it might be secured, either using SSL or
Kerberos tickets or some other encryption wrapper, like over an ssh
tunnel.

Has anyone implemented other solutions to combine NT, Exchange and Unix
logins across a network?  I'm looking for an easy to manage central user
database that will allow a user to login to various boxes on our net,
regardless of their OS, and use the same password and/or certificate to
authenticate.  LDAP seems to be the way to go, and I'd sure appreciate any
suggestions about whether or not this works or what else might.

thanks,
-michael