Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 2002 10:26:07 -0200
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>
Cc:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>, qa@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NTP on 5.x

Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> Brian J. McGovern wrote:
>
> >  > I noticed, the worst way possible, that there are a couple of
> >  > differences between ntp activation between -stable and -current.
> >  >
> >  > First, xntpd is now called ntpd.
> >
> > Umm, its been this way for quite awhile. From a 4.7
> > /etc/defaults/rc.conf...
> >
> > xntpd_program="/usr/sbin/ntpd"    # path to ntpd, if you want a
> > different one.
> >
> > This has been true since at least 4.0, IIRC.
>

> Let me clarify, then. xntpd_enable is now ntpd_enable. It has been
> pointed out to me, though, that there is a glue for xntpd.
>
> >  > Second, ntpdate now reads /etc/ntp.conf. Not much of a problem,
> but on
> >  > -stable it's common practice to change ntpdate_flags to point to
> > the server.
> >
> > >From the man page for ntpd, the FILES section:
> >
> > /etc/ntp.conf    the default name of the configuration file
>

> Yes, this is a good thing. But ntpdate, which is different from ntpd,
> did *not* read this file before. Well, it doesn't now either. It's a
> script thingy.

And now let me contradict myself. It only does this on NetBSD. For us,
we have to pass the servers on ntpdate_flags. <sigh>

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes

Outros:
	dcs@newsguy.com
	dcs@freebsd.org
	capo@notorious.bsdconspiracy.net

If you are afraid of loneliness, don't marry.
		-- Chekhov