Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 1996 14:39:08 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        segura@worldnet.net (Fabrice Segura)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Non-US DES

It seems that Fabrice Segura said:
> I guess US users don't see a reason to have easily breakable systems. (Just
> in a few days/weeks using brute force)

If   you   think  the  DES  (or  MD5)  is  that   breakable,  you're  for a
disappointment. Don't believe  eveyone who says  DES is dead... The fastest
way (the 3.5 M$ machine  for 3h1/2) requires   something like 2^47 or  2^48
cleartext-crypto couples (8   bytes each). Guess   how many bytes  it means
(hint: too many) ?

There are better algorithms of course (IDEA for example).

> My question is, as it has been the case with PGP262i, couldn't someone make
> a crypt package based on IDEA algorithm, that would be compatible in coding
> with the regular DES package, and as solid, of course.

The MD5-based package is already believed to be stronger than the DES-based
one. But  don't forget interoperability.  It is useless  to try to  use MD5
when all the other machines all around you use DES.

> (I forgot to mention that I'm French, and I don't like the both the idea of
> putting my country in the same bag as Iran and Irak, and that my governement
> wants to read my mail)

So am I :-)
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
   FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #5: Sun Feb  4 03:11:17 MET 1996