Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:27:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alan Char <alanchar@got.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.2.5 out of memory?

I just got FreeBSD 2.2.5 from Walnut Creek CD-ROM and upgraded from
2.2.2.  When I run Netscape (3.01), it runs out of memory after a
very short amount of surfing, much less than 2.2.2.  (It pops a dialog
saying it's out of memory.  It may mean the X server's out of memory.)
It seems especially prone to this if the page loads a lot of images
from the disk cache.

The Netscape binary is the same after the upgrade, naturally, and as
far as I can tell all of the X binaries and libraries are the same
(dated in May, at least), so I'm not sure where the problem lies.
Has memory management changed subtly, or some configuration default?
I actually reverted back to 2.2.2 because of this problem, the first
time I've installed an old version of the OS in two years of
subscribing to FreeBSD!  I would appreciate any any ideas you have
on the subject.  Thanks.  --Alan Char, alanchar@got.net