Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 20:05:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Henry Spencer <henry@zoo.toronto.edu>
To:        "Jacob M. Parnas" <jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: muliport boards - building a PPP dialup server

> I'm confused.  I thought the 16550 was good up to 115,200 baud, but when
> ISDN eventually takes over with compression, ~512kbaud will be the norm.
> I don't know if they can handle that...

Why bother trying to make them handle it?  Ethernet is a much nicer way
to connect to high-speed networks (or even not-so-high-speed ones like
ISDN), given that there has to be an interface gadget of some kind between
you and the network anyway.  UARTs are for low speeds.

                                                           Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@zoo.toronto.edu