Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 12:51:40 -0800
From:      Ken Marx <kmarx@bigshed.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, x@suse.de
Cc:        Ken Marx <kmarx@bigshed.com>
Subject:   diamond GL Fire 1000 problems

Hi,

I just bought an 8mb diamond GL Fire 1000 pro (AGP) graphics card.

I did get X up using the XFCom_3DLabs server for freeBSD (2.2.6)
that I found via suse.

I'm seeing some very strange behavior(s) though and can't find
any mention in FAQ's at freebsd or XFree86. Does this ring
a bell for anyone and/or any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

What I see is:
- lots of console messages: "calcru: negative time: -16060891 usec"
  (many various usec values here)
- the whole machine seems to run very sluggishly, even in non-graphics mode
- the calcru stuff seems mainly to start happening after having
  started the XFCom_3DLabs server that I had to download. But the
  sluggishness occurs even before that.
- In graphics mode very odd stuff is evident:
  - xclock with almost any args streams miriad messages:
    "Warning Select failed: error code 22"
  - I have F-keys setup for warpto in my tvtwm. Often, the warpto
    works, but the warped-to window doesn't get focus
  - mouse selection is eratic: double click doesn't always work,
    right-click often selects entire line, rather than just up to end-of-word
- when server exits, I always see:
  'FreeFontPath FPE "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc" refcount is 2,
  should be 1; freeing'

So, a lot of this seems like I should be bugging the X-server author,
but the calcru stuff makes me suspicious. Should I just swap the
board? Suspect something with motherboard? Or...?

One more question: There is supposedly a new version of xf86Config as
well, but I could only find the binray for Linux(?), none for freeBSD.
I got the new cards file, but should I somehow get the new binary too?
If so, where/how?

Thanks,
k.

--
Ken Marx, kmarx@bigshed.com
Eliminate redundancies in the staffing!!