Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:49:00 +0200
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Stefan Hegnauer <stefan.hegnauer@gmx.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: www/149093: stale manual pages on http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi

On 2010.07.30 06:00:45 +0000, Stefan Hegnauer wrote:

> When asking for manual pages for e.g. 'FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE and
> Ports' on http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi the result is often for
> other/older versions of FreeBSD.

> Example: the portmaster(8) manual page from calling
> 'http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=portmaster&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+8.0-RELEASE+and+Ports&format=html'
> results in the page of FBSD 7.2 from 2007.

The version number you see is for the version of FreeBSD the web
server is running, not related to when the manual page was from.
That's just the way man(1) works.

See e.g.
http://bwwwdyn.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=portmaster&manpath=FreeBSD+8.0-RELEASE+and+Ports
which is another (and at this point experimental) webserver.

> The same manpage on my 8.0 systems is up-to-date however, and also shows all
> the options the program acquired since.

While the date from 2007 indicates man.cgi does use an older version
of the portmaster manual page than it should (it should be from August
24, 2009), you would still get an out of date manual page if you use
the web interface to see ports manual pages.

The 'FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE and Ports' collection contains the manual
pages as they were for the ports collecton included with FreeBSD 8.0
release.

Anyway, there does indeed still seem to be a problem which somebody
should look at.

--
Simon L. Nielsen