Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2008 19:22:00 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
Cc:        acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to disable acpi thermal?

--XaUbO9McV5wPQijU

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 03:34:41PM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>The system is a Intel STL2 Tupelo motherboard with 1 CPU, the
>other CPU socket being occupied by a CPU terminator thingy.
>I uncovered the rackmount system and watched it while building
>a kernel.  With the cover off the acpi monitored temperature
>went to 107C and stayed there.  It only took a minute or two
>to get there.  I felt around inside the chassis and nothing
>was even near being to warm or hot.  With the cover on, the
>temperature goes to 111/112C before being shutdown by acpi_thermal
>(the limit being 110C).  There is no way anything in that
>chassis is anywhere near 100C.  I've disabled acpi_thermal
>for now, but it'd be nice to get a better fix.

This implies that the reported temperature does have some association
with reality.  What does the BIOS report?  One possibility is that
one of the motherboard support chips has died.

If your CPU supports it, you could try using coretemp(4).

Getting back to your original question, my laptop used to suffer from
occasional spikes to 146=B0C in one zone (not CPU).  My work-around was
to add the following to /etc/sysctl.conf:
# Increase tz2 allowable temperature so the occasional spikes to 146=B0C wo=
n't
# trigger a shutdown.  Note that the temperature is specified in deci-kelvi=
ns
hw.acpi.thermal.user_override=3D1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz2._CRT=3D4231

I'd keep a close eye in it in case the reported temperature really is
accurate.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--XaUbO9McV5wPQijU