Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:30:32 +0100
From:      Chive <lex@blacktrap.net>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is My System Hung?

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 10:27:50AM -0800, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> I am attempting to install XFree86 4 from the packages via
> /stand/sysinstall.  It downloaded the tarball and then the message changed
> to "Package XFree86-4.0.1 read successfully - waiting for pkg_add(1)".  It
> has been like this for about an hour.
>
> I've run "top" to see if the system is doing anything.  The CPU is maxed out
> at 100%.  Is anything happening or is my system hung up?  Should I kill the
> process and start over or keep waiting?
>
> Thanks for your help!  My top output follows.
>
>  6687 root          60   0  1280K   836K RUN     55:16 99.02% 99.02% dialog

Obviously it is waiting for some input from you. Probably a dialog box was
supposed to pop up and you can't see it because you're doing it from
sysinstall, which is occupying the screen?
I'd say kill it and install with pkg_add.
I've had the same problems with some ports (eg php) when making in background.

--
Chive.