Date:      Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:21:12 +0000
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   installation messup

I have a problem to fix in an installation I just did, and I need to
know if it's possible to misuse/abuse sysinstall in the manner I need to.

I was putting a copy  of FreeBSD into a system of a friend.  hhis system
is based on scsi, and I couldn't seem to get it to boot from ide, so
instead of using the ide drive he'd given me, I installed FreeBSD into a
drive I gave him.  Smallish, but 9 Gigs is more than enough for a nice
FreeBSD system, and besides, it woud compare better against the scsi
based Windows install that he's going to be comparing it to.

So, I did the install, and booted it twice, just to make sure.  I had
installed KDE, and I was amazed to see that the install worked like a
miracle, all the way to the last KDE detail.  Unfortunately, when he
came 2 days later to pick up the machine, now at the disk manager f1
prompt, it's giving me a symbol that is like F(down-arrow), and I didn't
even realize that the system could produce that down-arrow character.

Well, so I figure that the best idea is to reinstall the disk manager.
If I go into the "experts" install, can I get it to install just the
disk manager only?