Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 11:09:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help with ln "linking" Please! [attn manpage authors!]

Gary W. Swearingen <swear@attbi.com> wrote:
 > ln [-fhinsv] linked_filename [link_filename]
 > ln [-fhinsv] linked_filename ... dir_filename
 > link existing_filename alternate_filename
 >
 > This is cleaner, but I think "filename" should be standard in filenames.

But it is not a filename.

 > > True.  /etc/malloc.conf is a nice example of cases that this holds
 > > true, and the 'source' doesn't have to be a real file, or exist at all
 > > for that matter.
 >
 > Yuck; malloc.conf is nasty.

No, it's extremely useful and efficient.  There should be
more software using symlinks like that.  (BTW, Netscape
does it for its lockfile, too, even though efficiency isn't
much of an issue in that case.)

Also, symlinks are an easy way to atomically check and create
lockfiles in shell scripts.

Regards
   Oliver