Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:13:52 +0100
From:      Mike Bristow <mike@urgle.com>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: General update methodology question

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 05:50:30PM -0400, Chris BeHanna wrote:
>     I was out for a walk, and I thought that the following might be
> a good idea:
>
>     1) locally mirror the FreeBSD CVSROOT (how would I do this?),
>        re-syncing as I felt like it.

use cvsup and /usr/share/examples/cvsup/cvs-supfile.

>     2) Pull a working tree out from either a branch (e.g.,
>        RELENG_4) or a fixed tag (e.g., RELENG_4_1_0_RELEASE).
>
>     3) Build and install.
>
>     4) As time progresses, cvs up from my local mirror, build and
>        install.  BUT, prior to doing that, tag my local copy
>        (e.g., "WORKS_7-26-2000").  The idea here is that if someone
>        does a hasty commit, and I suffer for it, I can easily get
>        back to where I was.

This won't work as every time you reimport the upstream source, you'll
loose your local tags.  The way I'd do it is:

	pull the freebsd CVS repository into a local mirror

	build, test, etc, but don't modify

	When you're happy do something like:

        cd ~/tmp
	cvs -d /cvs/freebsd-org-mirror export src
	cd src
	cvs -d /cvs/local-repository import freebsd/src FREEBSD CURRENT-20000728
	[ resolve conflicts; probably only neccessary if you've modified things
	yourself, which should (of course) get send-pr'ed and applied to
	your repository, not the mirror of freebsd's ]

I'm sure that there are problems with this approach (I haven't done
this myself or even thought it through properly) but I would expect
that it would be a good starting point.  In particular, the
stable/current split isn't considered much here.  Of course I'd be
interested in hearing any lurking CVS guru's thoughts on the matter
;-)

--
Mike Bristow, seebitwopie