Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 1996 15:11:26 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        tricotek!henry@uunet.uu.net (Henry Hojnacki)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Installation Problems (2.0.5 + 2.1)

Henry Hojnacki writes:

> Hello!
>
> I have sent this message to questions@FreeBSD.com, but have not received a response in
> more than a week, so I am trying the bugs address.  Please forgive me if I am being too
> impatient.

questions@freebsd.org is the correct address.  I didn't see this
message, so maybe you really did send it to questions@FreeBSD.com, but
it should have bounced.

> Having used the 2.0 version for several months now, I decided to upgrade to the 2.0.5
> version.  During the installation procedure, I experience a lock up in the menu screen.
> Here is my hardware setup, followed by a detailed description of the problem:
>
> 100 MHz Pentium
> Intel TRITON chip set M/B
> On board IDE controller (No IDE Hard Drive, floppy only)
> NCR53C810 SCSI HBA
> 1GB SCSI Hard Drive
> 32MB memory
> Diamiond Stealth 65 Video
> 17" Monitor
> SoundBlaster16

The only thing I'm not sure about there is the SCSI host adaptor.  But
that doesn't seem to be the problem.

> Firstly, I have successfully intalled 2.0, and am currently using this with X11R6
> from XFree86.  No major problems here.  I created the boot floppy for 2.0.5 from the
> Walnut Creek CDROM.  When I attempt to boot from it, it goes thru the normal boot
> procedure, but when the install menu should come up, nothing happens.  I have toggled
> to the debug screen via Alt-F2, and see no surprinsing messages.  When I toggle back
> via Alt-F1, the install menu miracuously appears, however it does not respond to any
> key strokes.  If I toggle to the debug screen and back again, the screen appears
> updated.
>
> I borrowed a 2.1 release CD from a friend, and wrote a new boot floppy.  Same problem
> happens.  I have swapped out cards one by one and in all combinations.  The only time
> I was able to get a normally responding install menu is if I removed the NCR SCSI card.
> The install menu worked just fine.  Of course, not having a SCSI card means no hard
> drive in my case, so the install procedure is somewhat moot.
>
> I then tried an Adaptec 2940 SCSI card.  Things got worse.  The install menu never
> appeared at all!  Even after toggling to the debug screen and back did nothing.  It
> appears that the boot procedure did complete successfully.
>
> I have verified the integrity of the boot floppy by trying it on another machine.  The
> major difference of this machine was that an IDE drive was present, and no SCSI devices
> were attached.
>
> Can this be some factor caused by the on board IDE controller?  Has anyone seen this
> before?  Will I ever be able to upgrade from 2.0?  Any advice suggestion, help etc
> would be much appreciated.

Are you installing this on the same machine where 2.0 is already
running?  If so, that would eliminate the questions of host adapter
compatibility (I don't know much about the NCR 810, and I seem to
recall that there were once problems with the Adaptec 2940).  The
other question is: how did you create the boot floppy?  By far the
safest way is under FreeBSD or another UNIX system:

       dd if=/cdrom/floppies/boot.flp of=/dev/rfd0c bs=36b

If this still doesn't work, but you can mount the CD-ROM under 2.0,
you could consider copying the files across.  There are a couple of
gotchas, though: in particular, don't copy the files in /usr/lib.
Extract them into a different subdirectory of /usr instead, and then
rename the directories.

Greg