Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 10:10:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      ee96199@tom.fe.up.pt
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RAM usage

Since I moved from Linux to FreeBSD I was a bit surprised when I found out
that FreeBSD programs use far more memory that their similars in Linux.

At the moment I have 16MB of RAM and with only 9 processes running
(3 gettys, syslogd, cron, inetd and system procs like swapper or init)
I only get (with top) 7MB of free memory particioned by 5MB for cache
and 2MB for buffer...

The strange thing is that a 'ps aux' shows that this 9 processes use
4MB.

Is this normal?
-
Cheers,