Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 13:52:01 -0700
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Show Stopper? Failure to Install 19981014

On Fri, Oct 16, 1998 at 12:47:45PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > I am installing, from scratch, on a known-to-be-good system, FreeBSD
> > 3.0-CURRENT, the snapshot from 14-Oct (compiled here) and getting the
> > following error messages during filesystem creation:
> >
> > [ After newfs lists superblocks ]
> >
> > newfs: ioctl (WDINFO): cros-device link
> > newfs: /mnt/dev/rda0s4a cant rewrite disk label.
>
> FWIW, I've seen this reported by 2-3 other people as well (and not
> with DPT controllers) but I'm buggered if I can reproduce it here on
> any of my test boxes.  Can you tell me a bit more about what installation
> type you're using, whether the disks are being installed "dangerously
> dedicated", are shared with other OSes, etc?

I had the following configs:

Celeron with IDE drive: made one partition, then disklabeled for
	/, /var, /usr and /usr/local. Failed on /, worked commiting
	again. Tried sysinstall only.

K6-233 with Adaptec 2940UW:
	4GB SCSI drive for /, /usr, /usr/local and /var. Failed
	with sysinstall, recommitted and worked.
	2x9GB SCSI disks, configured as ccd0, newfs first time
	fails, tried newfs again fails, but the file system
	is mountable.
K6-200 with IDE drive 4GB: two partition, 2GB for Win95, 2GB for
	FreeBSD. Made disklabel with sysinstall, 1. commit fails
	on /, second worked.

> Thanks!
>
> - Jordan

Regards, Ulf.