Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 95 9:59:24 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        vovad@ksu.ras.ru (Vladimir V. Dyatchin)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HELP: IDP-IPX & SPP-SPX ???

>   I've recently recompiled the 386BSD's kernel with Xerox NS support.
> I set an NS address for ethernet interface by "ifconfig ep0 ns 34H:" command
> (my subnet's number is 34H). Then I succesfully connected two processes
> on one system via sockets over IDP, but when I tried to send a packet
> from such a process on 386BSD to a process on a PC waiting for it over
> Novell IPX it didn't work - the listenning process couldn't see anything.
> I tried the opposite variant but everything was just the same. Could
> anyone tell me if IDP is compatible with IPX and SPP with SPX (I've heard
> it is). Maybe someone has already faced this problem.

I don't know about 386BSD, especially without version information.

In FreeBSD, there is explicit IPX support, or at least there are
patches for it; I'm not sure about SPX, but I thought that was
there too.

IDP and IPX differ from each other in that IPX relies on hardware
checksumming, and explicitly sets it's to 0xffff.

IPX further incorrectly frames packets for 802.3 (assuming you are
doing 802.3) and relies on this 0xFFFF in the length field of the
802.3 packet to identify itself.

SPX differs from SPP in that even though it supports sliding window
in the SPX II implementation, by default you can not enable it
because of interoperability issues.

Finally, the default framining type for BSD systems is Ethernet II;
this is what the Internet currently uses.  The default for IPX/SPX
from Novell is their mangled 802.3.

Hope this helps.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu