Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:38:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Eddie Wieder <eddiew@raydian.net>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Intel Etherexpress Pro 100B and speed

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Eddie Wieder wrote:

> I have FreeBSD 2.2.8 running with an Intel Etherexpress Pro 100B and a
> Linux (ugh) box with the same card, the linux box transfers file via ftp
> faster than the FreeBSD box,=A0 I get about 600Kbps to 2Mbps on the
> FreeBSD and anywhere from 2Mbps to 6Mbps on the linux box.

ftp speeds over 100BaseT tend to be limited more by HD speed than wire
speed.  Are both boxes set up the same hardware otherwise?  What are you
transfering? What machine are you using as the other end of the ftp
transfer?

FYI, I've hit 4MB/sec going from FreeBSD 2.2.8 to Win95.  Think when I get
home tonight, I'll do some timing tests dd'ing from /dev/zero on one
machine, through rsh to /dev/null on my other FreeBSD box (can't do it
right now because my server is always on, but my test machine is off right
now.