Date:      24 Feb 1996 23:14:41 -0500
From:      robert@steffi.mnsinc.com (Robert Nicholson)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Install question..

<msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au> writes:

>Robert Nicholson stands accused of saying:
>>
>>Somebody has just told me that / is seen as sd0a but as far as I'm

>I told you that the first BSD slice fits the compatability notation,
>and thus if you installed onto the first BSD slice, the root filesystem
>should be /dev/sd0a, yes.

>>really care too much about that.

>You should care; either you did something odd in the partition editor or you
>have a more serious problem.

>>Anyway, in fstab
>>
>>it puts /dev/sd0a as my / filesystem and at boot time I always have to
>>mount /dev/sd0c over / then mount /usr so I can get the tools needed
>>to edit fstab and write fstab and reboot.

>This will work because 'a' and 'c' start at the same place, so you're
>picking up the same filesystem information.

OK you have a good point here. Well I'll boot now with fstab
containing sd0a instead of sd0c and it won't boot. (At least it didn't
last time) NOTE: FreeBSD is the 3rd slice. ie. 3rd primary partition.

>However, you should be able to mount 'a' just fine.  How about some
>error messages so we can actually see what's happening?

I'd love to but until I get Accelerated X working correctly. (Won't
detect mouse/tablet even though I've compiled it in my kernel). I
cannot set up ppp because I don't want to do all of that from the
console. I'd need to mount my dos filesystem to transfer the files
across unless I can use bad144 to put them on a floppy disk or
something. ie. my internet connection is via NeXTSTEP at the moment.

--
                  "For I am Costanza, lord of the Idiots"
            (PGP key: send email with Subject: request pgp key)