Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 20:59:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Soren Ragsdale <soren@primenet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Soren Ragsdale wrote:

> I administrate several unix machines.  I like FreeBSD quite a bit, and
> wish that Solaris or Linux had a ports collection.  They don't, and
> frequently when I want to compile a new version of something I have a hard
> time finding out where to FTP the source from.

Glad you enjoy that feature.  I certainly appreciate the amount of time
that's gone into the ports tree; it's one of FreeBSD's big pluses and has
saved me innumerable hours.

> Is there any chance that in the web version of the FreeBSD ports
> collection at http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html, for each port, you
> could list where the installer will FTP the source from?  A directory of
> FTPable unix code would be handy.

The ports download from the approprate port's master site.  If you look in
the Makefile for the port the sites will be listed for variables such as
MASTER_SITE.