Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:39:35 -0700
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        "Gregory A. Gilliss" <ggilliss@netpublishing.com>, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Look what a mess I made (was Brilliant and very useful...)

On Monday 07 April 2003 08:36 am, Gregory A. Gilliss wrote:

> The point - the reason that I thought that this article has value -
> is that the FreeBSD community doesn't - dare I say it - pander - to
> the user community.

"pander: someone who caters to or exploits the weaknesses of others"

I hope you can see my point. There is a line between advocacy and
pandering that we should not cross.

> Good tools require no instruction.  That was the point, not the rest
> of this didactic cruft.

My automobile is a most excellent tool. But it required a lot of
instruction.

> Who among you ever read the instructions for a phone (not a cordless
> multi- frequency-answering-machine-GPS-breathalyzer phone, but the
> unbox-it-plug- it-in-listen-for-dial-tone phone?  Or a hammer?

When FreeBSD has the lack of functionality of a hammer, then it won't
need instructions. Think about it. A hammer only does one thing (two if
you have a clawhammer). FreeBSD does a million things in a million
different ways. Of course it needs instructions!

Cheers,

David