Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:52:24 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Tait Larson <tait@wego.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing from cd-rom...it worked under openbsd

Well Matsushita Cd drives are supported with the matcd driver which
must be built into the kernel to work I believe.  But if 581 is the
model number then that drive is not supported under the matcd driver.
Check the model number info and try  man matcd
	Is the drive SCSI or ATAPI?  OpenBSD uses a SCSI emulation layer of a
sort to talk to ATAPI CD drives.   You may want to look into just
getting another ATAPI CD drive as they are pretty cheap.
	Have you tried a verbose boot to see what it sees for your CD drive?
At the boot prompt "press any key to get a prompt, do so and type boot
-v to boot verbosely.  Use the scroll lock key to stop the dmesg
scrolling accross your screen and either write it down or make a fixit
floppy and use that when you get to sysinstall.  That will get you to a
shell prompt and you can access dmesg from there.  I do find it strange
the fixit floppy doesn't have the more utility, but oh well.  It has
sed and that can be used the same.   dmesg | sed 20q   is effective.
I don't know how to save the dmesg to another floppy, but at least this
way you can see it.
	Let us know the output of the dmesg after a verbose boot. Maybe that
will help.   (If you have not already gotten a satisfactory reply)

						Tim