Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 10:46:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should cam_imask be part of bio_imask ?

:> Isn't all the work in CAM done at splsoftcam?
:
:Not all. There's completions done at splcam. I've had some  worries and
:concerns about this, but (wince) I really have to admit that the ins and
:outs of the cam code often escape me, and they're documented only in the
:DNA of certain human subspecies that reside in Colorado.....

    Hmm, ok.  Shoot.  This is what I'm getting.  If I have an NFS server
    and client running CURRENT, and (from the client) I copy the CVS
    repository from the server to the client, and then diff them, I get
    little discrepancies.  An example is included below.

*** /FreeBSD/FreeBSD-CVS/src/sys/pci/ncr.c,v    Fri Aug 27 17:51:03 1999
--- /home/ncvs/src/sys/pci/ncr.c,v      Fri Aug 27 17:51:03 1999
***************
*** 12211,12217 ****
  d55 1
  d1345 1
  a1345 1
!       "\nhis product  1.112 1997/11/07 09:20:56 phk Exp $\n";
  @

--- 12211,12217 ----
  d55 1
  d1345 1
  a1345 1
!       "\n$Id: ncr.c,v 1.112 1997/11/07 09:20:56 phk Exp $\n";
  @

    I'm still experimenting trying to focus in on where the problem is.  It
    is a very weird problem.  Sometimes the errors are small, sometimes
    who pages are wrong.

    The scary part is that they are wrong in the server's cache!  If I catch
    the error quickly enough and cat the file on the server, the error shows
    up on the server!  If I then, on the server, eat up memory to flush the
    caches and then cat the file again, the error is gone again.

    I'm going to try changing it over from an NFSv3 to an NFSv2 mount to
    see if that does anything.

						-Matt