Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:06:13 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Landgren <david@landgren.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux/FreeBSD NFS incompatibilities (was: Connection refusal for an NFS mount)

--yzvKDKJiLNESc64M

On Thursday, 20 July 2006 at 17:16:16 +0200, David Landgren wrote:
> List,
>
> On an old Redhat box (address 172.17.0.18), I'm trying to mount an NFS
> export from a FreeBSD (5.2.1-RELEASE) box. Both machines are on the same
> network segment, and neither have any onboard firewalling rules.

FWIW, there seems to be some compatibility issue here that I've looked
at from time to time, but which I haven't been able to resolve.  In a
similar network, FreeBSD machines can cross-mount file systems without
problems, but on occasion *some* file systems either can't be mounted
from Linux, require a retry to mount, or freeze once mounted.  I've
done some network tracing that suggests that the FreeBSD NFS server is
not responding to the Linux box, though it's not clear yet what.  Any
insight is welcome.

Greg

--yzvKDKJiLNESc64M

--yzvKDKJiLNESc64M--