Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 12:22:20 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Ian Cartwright <ICartwright@IT.RJF.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: USB Zip drive

In the last episode (May 10), Ian Cartwright said:
> Sounds great, except for one small problem: my Zip drive is USB. So
> there is no on/off switch, no ID, etc. Personally, I think that using
> the dax device names for USB mass storage devises invites problems
> such as the one I am having, but maybe it will get fixed down the
> road...

hmmmm.  Well, you can still wire down your SCSI disks, which is more
important.  Wire them to da0 and da1, and let the USB drive float,
attaching as da2.  You might even be able to wire the USB deivce down
by doing something like

device        scbus0 at umass0
device        da2 at scbus0 target 0

Not sure, though.  I have only wired down SCSI disks, and I have always
wired them in groups starting at da0.

You should also be able to unplug the USB plug to the zip disk, plug it
in after the system is up, and do a camcontrol rescan to pick up the
new device (see the umass manpage).  This probably isn't very
convenient, though.

> BTW: I did try changing fstab, but I ran into a different problem
> there. My boot drive is actually my second SCSI drive (ID1) so, it
> would normally show up as da1s1a, da1s1b, etc. When the Zip drive is
> plugged in, the second SCSI drive (now the third da device) shows up
> as da2. But my /dev directory has no entries for ufs slices (i.e.
> there is a da2, da2s1, da2s2, etc. but no da2s1a, da2s1b).

You can run /dev/MAKEDEV to create missing entries.  devfs would fix
all this, but we may never get one :)

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com