Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 14:25:17 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        Doug@gorean.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -stable (in)stability (was Re: Best version of FBSD for INN ?)

Hi,

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Thomas David Rivers wrote:

> > 	Please don't crosspost. Thanks.
>
>  I didn't intentionally cross-post - I merely hit `r' to R)eply
> in Mail, and didn't pay attention to the headers.

 It's my fault, if it is to be -- I've initially crossposted to -stable
and -hackers due to my intention to attract attention of developers/core
interested in solving this.

 I believe a good rule of thumb might be to crosspost to -hackers _if_ you
have any interesting technical data that may help the developers.

> > 	This would be a lot more useful if you were actually using -Stable. As
> > it is there is no way to know if any of the hundreds of changes between
> > your -Release and the present have improved (or for that matter
> > worsened) your situation.
>

>  Yes - you are right - as soon as the 3.3-RELEASE CDs get here, I
> will try it out.

 Syncing to 3.3-STABLE might be of a better help ;-) ... But since you
need the PAO bits (which I really don't know if they were completely
merged in -STABLE)...

>  Also, I believe one of the original posters indicated he saw the
> problem in 3.x - so, _if_ this is the same problem, a data point that
> shows the issue came to light in an older release can help debugging
> efforts.  And, if this is not the same problem - then my e-mail becomes
> random aggravating noise... that deters from a solution to either
> problem...   But, I add it in the hopes that it contributes.

 Well, it does, at least in proving that this is indeed a problem that
needs solving; we shouldn't forget that most people use -stable in
production environments where stability is a must.

>  And - for now - please try and CC: me on the discussions.

 OK.

> 	- Dave Rivers -

 Thanks,
 Ady (@warpnet.ro)