Date:      Sat, 08 Jan 2000 02:27:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.org, se@FreeBSD.org, andreas@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Qt/KDE/bsd.port.mk upgrade PRs imminent

-ports, Asami-san, Stefan, Andreas,

        I have completed significant changes to the KDE and Qt libraries' ports.
A build of KDevelop 1.0b4.1 succeeded with these updated libraries (old, yes,
but still depends on USE_NEWGCC'd libraries). The fixes include:

        o Small patch to bsd.port.mk
        o Upgrade Qt port (1.42 -> 1.44) + add USE_NEWGCC. Will require a repo
          copy from qt142 -> qt14. According to Troll Tech, Qt 1.44 is backwards
          compatible with 1.4x.
        o Upgrade KDE libraries to USE_NEWGCC. Requires version bump. I have
          decided that PKGNAME will be kdelibs-1.1.2.1 to reflect this change,
          and the shared library version will be updated to "3".

These changes will allow certain ports to build under -STABLE. Examples include
devel/kdevelop, devel/cervisia, www/kdreamsite, www/kwebsearch, games/kmud,
games/krogue, and tons of others.

This is my respectful submission (as well) that I become the maintainer of the
new qt14 (as well as the updated kdelibs11) ports. I've been ranting about this
subject long enough; here's the work.

These should work fine with the latest 4.0-CURRENT systems (although I can't
test them for sure, since my -CURRENT box is 400004).

Some testing by:                Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Constructive discussion with:   Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
                                R. Imura <imura@kde.gr.jp>
                                Chris D. Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>