Date:      Wed, 06 May 1998 14:08:51 -0600
From:      Clod Baldrick <baldrick@rmsq.com>
To:        Andrew Short <Ashort@concentric.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bizarre routing problem

Andrew Short wrote:
> Ok then....next...is it possible that one of the interfaces are
> half-duplex and one is full-duplex?  That can cause REAL trouble if you
> put a full-duplex interface on a shared ethernet segment....NASTY things
> happen...  Although you probably wouldn't drop all the packets but you
> COULD drop a LOT of them...

Don't think so.  The Linux box has a 3c509 and the FreeBSD a Realtek 8029
NE2k clone; as far as I know, neither of these does full duplex.  Anyway,
the really strange thing is that both machines can talk freely to all the
other machines on the local ethernet, but neither can get *any* packets
through to the other.  If it was a half/full duplex mismatch thing, surely
there'd be some other symptoms?

Regards.

--
Clod Baldrick