Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 18:16:23 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Scott Worthington <SWorthington@hsag.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Signal 11 occuring frequently from 2.2.8-Release

On Wednesday,  6 January 1999 at 16:01:19 -0700, Scott Worthington wrote:
> I am experiencing numberous Signal 11 after upgrading to
> 2.2.8-Release on two different machines.
>
> The machines (two) did not exhibit this problem under 2.2.7-Release.
>
> Both machines are 486 DX2/66, one has 32MB Parity RAM and the other
> has 64MB Parity RAM (I've checked if RAM was a problem, but it does
> not fix the signal 11).
>
> Signal 11 usually occurs while compiling (gcc or cc) and it also
> happens when Apache 1.3.3 is running (as proxy server).
>
> The first machine was CVS and a "make world" was performed from
> 2.2.7 to 2.2.8 on Dec 11, 1998.
>
> The second machine was built from the Walnut Creek CD-ROMs
> (2.2.8-Release).
>
> Any idea or is this a true bug in the CD-ROM 2.2.8-Release?

This is an almost classical case of hardware problems.  It's confusing
that it started happening round the time you installed 2.2.8, but I'm
sure that's not the problem.  Did you maybe add memory to the machine
at the same time?  Or perform some other hardware modification, maybe
changing the BIOS parameters?

Greg