Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 14:29:43 +1200
From:      "Craig Harding" <crh@outpost.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SETI@home has teams now!

Darren Pilgrim wrote:

> "Mark S. Reichman" wrote:
>
> > I'm there..  My average CPU time per work unit is 25 hours.
> > Im running a K6-200 FreeBSD 3.2-Stable
> > Daniel O'connor's is only 10 hrs/work unit.  He must have at least
> > a 300 Mhz machine.
>
> A note on FreeBSD's efficiency: My P2-350 spends almost 38 hours per
> unit when under W98 and that's with nothing else running.  The last
> work unit took my P166 running 3.1R just under 30 hours.  That's
> both disgusting and hilarious.

Yeah, my Celeron 416MHz at home under Windreck (it's the games
machine, can't you guess?) takes about 33 hrs per work unit, my P166
here running 3.1 (it's idprio'd, but admittedly it's a lightly loaded
machine at present) takes a similar 28-30 hrs.

What I can't figure out yet is the PII - 233 which has so far taken
140 hrs to complete 93% of a work unit. It's got 64MB of RAM so it
shouldn't be slow, and it's running as a screen saver with nothing
else happening on the machine - obviously this is a windreck machine
as well.

I'm not sure if it's breaking the rules to have the couple of windows
machines here participating in TeamFreeBSD. I'm temporarily top of
the team list, but I'm sure that won't last once someone with a real
room of machines joins in. What impresses me is the people on the
overall top users list who have 1900 outstanding work units but only
200 received. Obviously there's 1500-2000 machines across most of a
university all running the screen saver under the single email
address.

BTW, what "category" is TeamFreeBSD? A club?

						-- C.
--
Craig Harding         Head of Postproduction, Outpost Digital Media Ltd
     "I don't know about God, I just think we're handmade" - Polly