Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 18:03:55 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD - windows wavelan interop

Jim Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu> probably said:
> what do you mean by a "different" ad-hoc mode?  It's bad enough
> that there are "two modes" (BSS and ad hoc) the way things are.
> Do you mean that Lucent decided that 802.11 was not proprietary
> enough to suit them?

I don't remember the details, just that several people ahve pointed out
that the 6.* windows "ad-hoc" doesn't work with freebsd "adhoc".
There may be more details in the archives.

I have a vague memory about a change in the standard, or that old
ad-hoc wasn't completely standard ... but I may be misremembering.

> There is something going on out there in Lucent land.
> Lucent decided that a firmware update was needed for some reason,
> and e.g., linux drivers < lucent v6.00 will not work with cards that have
> had the firmware update made to them.  If you didn't actually use
> the windows drivers, you may not have noticed that.  This can
> cause "no lights".  On the other hand, I just tried a firmware
> updated card with BSD 4.2/wi0 and Bill's driver didn't care about it,
> firmware update or no.  Still worked.

I use updated cards (6.* firmware) with freebsd and windows with BSS
mode with no problems, thats about all I do.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu