Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2017 00:59:23 +0000
From:      Rafal Lukawiecki <raf@rafal.net>
To:        Colin Percival <cperciva@tarsnap.com>
Cc:        Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>, freebsd-cloud@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AWS c5.class unsupported?

> On 8 Nov 2017, at 00:47, Colin Percival <cperciva@tarsnap.com> wrote:
>=20
> Actually no -- the problem I'm aware of has nothing to do with =
user-data
> scripts and should not affect instance launching.  I wouldn't be =
surprised
> if some instance launches are failing due to capacity issues though -- =
EC2
> often has such problems when they launch a new instance family.
>=20
> The problem I'm tracking with C5 relates to disk hotplug: If you add =
an EBS
> volume, FreeBSD will not notice it until you run 'devctl rescan pci0', =
and
> if you remove an EBS volume FreeBSD will panic.  Warner is working on =
fixing
> the "hotunplug" path in the nvme driver in order to correct the panic; =
we
> were hoping to have it fixed in HEAD before C5 was launched, but I =
thought
> we had a few weeks left.
>=20
> If you have a good test case for user-data script problems, please let =
me
> know (off-list).  Given how much new hardware and software there is in =
the C5
> instances I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few bugs lurking, and =
I'm
> sure my contacts at EC2 will be happy to receive reports.
>=20
> (FWIW, C5 not being available in the Marketplace images is probably =
just a
> case of the Marketplace taking a while to get up to speed; I marked =
those
> images as "make these available on all new instances".  But I'll =
probably go
> in and disable C5 for now due to the disk attach/detach issues.)
>=20
> --=20
> Colin Percival
> Security Officer Emeritus, FreeBSD | The power to serve
> Founder, Tarsnap | www.tarsnap.com | Online backups for the truly =
paranoid

It was odd. Your cloudconfig seemed not to run *some* of the scripts (or =
*none* of the scripts) that it got from the tar instance user-data. It =
could have been related to a fluke co-incidence. During the project =
development, I have, so far, launched 150+ t2.medium and c4.large and I =
have never had this issue. Today I thought of testing c5.large but I =
have only launched 12 of them. I had this problem in 1 case out of the =
12.

On a side note, the performance our optimised web heads running FreeBSD =
11.1 + PHP 7 + Drupal 7 got from c5.large was on-par or a little worse =
than from t2.medium in a short but intensive load test. I was surprised, =
so perhaps there are some other issues lurking beneath. I was also =
hoping the slowish EFS access would be faster, but it is no different at =
the low-end of EFS storage it seems. Of course, t2 is limited to bursts, =
so this is not a fair comparison to c5, but I was still hoping to see =
better results even in a 5 min load.

More testing needed, results inconclusive, I suppose. I am on a deadline =
to complete the project this week, so I won=E2=80=99t go back to c5 =
testing but happy to do that in about 5 weeks from now.

Rafal=