Date:      	Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:26:26 -0700
From:      Chris Landauer <cal@rush.aero.org>
To:        FAQ@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        cal@rush.aero.org
Subject:   freebsd installation question - ...

and it is not at all clear to me where to ask (any help will be appreciated) -
i looked through the FAQ and the installation guide, and have only one
remaining idea (at the end)

THE PROBLEM - i have a running freebsd system and i want to upgrade to 2.2.6,
but the floppy drive is broken, so i wanna boot off something else (there is
no DOS on the machine at all)

i can ftp the boot floppy contents to a file on the system, but i don't know
how to boot from that file (oh, also, the system BIOS does not let me boot off
the CD drive, which is available and working)

THE IDEA - so my one remaining idea is to look up reboot or some similar boot
command, to see if i can get the system to reboot from the (floppy disk boot
image) file directly, or to try to intercept the boot sequence and tell it
where the file can be found

anyway, whether or not the idea works, i thought it would be a good thing to
make the problem known, and i will also tell you the result of trying it out
(btw, i am also buying a floppy disk drive, but it won't get here for a couple
of days)

alternative suggestions would be welcome

more later,
cal

Dr. Christopher Landauer
Aerospace Integration Science Center
The Aerospace Corporation, Mail Stop M6/214
P.O.Box 92957
Los Angeles, California 90009-2957, USA
e-mail: cal@aero.org
Phone: +1 (310) 336-1361