Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 02:33:03 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, <marwan@q8internet.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Kernel faild! what to do?

On Wednesday February 07, 2001 02:13, Matthew Emmerton wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I was installing QUOTA in the machine,
> > I cp GENERIC MYKERN and then i edited MYKERN to options QUOTA
> >
> > I did, cd /usr/src
> >         make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERN
> >
> > everything went fine for 1 minute, and then it start to generate
> > this error, Can you help please, what to do now?
>
> The procedure you're doing is only to be used when upgrading a system
> using source code.

Well it *should* work anyway.  The builkernel/installkernel targets are
just a little broken if one hasn't updated sources and done make world.
And he didn't say if he did update sources or not.
	Besides, the error he's getting seems a little more serious than your
average kernel compile failure.  By the way 'Dead Line', what system
are you trying this on?  What release?
	And I don't know how to clean up what you've done.  Perhaps a make
clean in /usr/src/ would work, but I don't know all the things that
would result after doing that on the main /usr/src branch.  If you had
ran make world you would lose all your object files I believe, and I
don't think that would be good.
	Perhaps are you trying to build a kernel after updating your source,
but before a make world?  You certainly can't do that.

						Tim

/""\
\  /
 X ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Say NO to HTML in email
/  \