Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:09:50 -0500
From:      Joe Thomas <joe_thomas@cnt.com>
To:        'Alex Huppenthal' <alex@aspenworks.com>, "Archinaco, Chris" <Chris.Archinaco@marconi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: SR100069960 - Linux resources

Well, having a MTU of size 48 is going to be the cause of the
fragmentation problem. I don't know why the interface would
come up with that value since it's supposed to be set at 9180.
[This is done in the sys/netatm/atm_if.c module when the IP interfaces
are defined and associated with the physical ATM interface (such as
hfa0 for a FORE adapter).]

	Yeah, it can't be set with the ifconfig command because the
SIOCSIFMTU
case isn't supported. As I recall, we chose to not allow it because of the
difficulty in propagating the MTU everywhere. With UNI, the MTU size is also
used to define forward and backward packet sizes in UNI SETUP messages so
that
the ATM network can ensure there's enough buffering available. If one
changed
the MTU size on the fly, you would be expected to close down any open VCs
across that interface and reopen them with the new value.

	This really confuses me as to how/why the MTU is being set to 48.
Can you check for ATM_NIF_MTU in sys/netatm/atm_if.*? It should be defined
to 9180 in the .h file and you should see a line like
	atm_if.c:	ifp->if_mtu = ATM_NIF_MTU;
in the .c file. The other thing that might be interesting to try is to bump
up the number of IP/ATM interfaces in your rc.conf file. Somewhere there'll
be a line similar to 'atm_netif_hfa0="atm 1"' where hfa0 is the physical
ATM interface (hea0 for Efficient), 'atm' is the name to be used for the
IP interface (what'll see with ifconfig), and 1 is the number of logical
IP interfaces to create. In this example, one IP interface named 'atm0' will
be created. Increment this by one or two and then reboot. Right after the
system comes up, check the MTU sizes with 'ifconfig -a' again. If the new
interfaces have the correct MTU size (9180), then something's happening to
change the MTU after the system is up. If the new interfaces have the MTU
size of 48, then the value being set when the interface is created is wrong.
This might at least give folks an idea of where to start looking...

Joe