Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 12:33:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Quintin Oliver <quintin@smlt.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Samba caues dialups.

Hi,

I recently installed Samba 1.9.18.8 on my FreeBSD 2.2.7 system at home, I
have two other Win95 workstations that uses FreeBSD for the surfing, etc..

The problem:

Whenever a Win95 client connects to Samba it causes UserPPP to dialup and
connect to the internet, I did a `tcpdump' and it looking for a domain ie
the dialup is caused by domain lookups.

I don't understand why Samba is doing this? the services I'm running:

* Sendmail 8.8.8
* Named
* UserPPP
* Samba
* Pop3 server

At first I thought that when the win95 client was connecting it was trying
to preform a lookup for the remotes IP address, well, the name server
hosts the forward and reverse for my local domain for example:

The FreeBSD machine is called `home.smlt.com'
The Win95 clients fall under `ws1.home.smlt.com' and `ws2.home.smlt.com'

And comments/suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Quintin.