Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 19:55:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Steve Gatt <stevegatt@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1.5 Binary Installation - Disk Space Required

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Steve Gatt wrote:

> I have FreeBSD version 2.1.5, which I wish to install on an Intel Pentium
> machine (details below), and I would like to know how much hard disk space I
> should allot.  On the back of the CD box is written 60 MB for a binary only
> system, which will be what I want, but does that include the X windowing
> system?  I will not be installing any applications or doing any development
> for now.  If you could tell me how much space I will need for the binary
> system, including X Window, swap space and any more room I need just to have
> a smoothly operating system, I would be glad.

i hope you don't mind, but i feel the need to ask you a question first..

is there any reason you can't use a more modern version of FreeBSD?

there's been at least 5 years of development since FreeBSD 2.1.5, 5 years
of fairly heafty improvements to the OS.

2.1.5 was released in July, 1996. (from the website:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases).

onward, though.

the 60mb is a minimal installation. no xwindows, no gcc, just the various
binaries. this is really compact, and not really ideal for most peoples
uses. in general, even on those old disks, you'll want at least 1gb for
the install, and that's not really ideal. generally, the average user is
going to want/need around 2 to 3 gb of space, for the full OS. since
you're saying "no packages, or [whatnot] for now" you'll want space to
grow in too.

so, on that note, sir, might i suggest giving yourself at least 3 times
the defaults for everything?

	/ 200mb
	/var 200mb
	swap 48mb
	/usr [the rest of the disk]

the other issue you'll have is X windows. your card isn't really new, but
on the same note, it might not be supported in the version of Xwindows
shipped with that old copy of FreeBSD. i would check to make sure you can
build/compile a more recent release of XFree86, one that does support the
video card.

> Here are more specific details of my system:
>   Intel Pentium CPU at 100 Mhz
>   Motherboard with Intel Chipset (Don't know the brand)
>   16 MB Main Memory
>   2.16 GB Samsung HDD (IDE)
>   S3 Trio 64 V+ ( /64 /32) 86C765 Graphics Card (Surf brand, I believe),
> with 2 MB memory
>   Realtek RTL8029AS 86017T1 (10 or 100/10 Mbps switching, I am not sure) PCI
> Ethernet Card (Will be connected via UTP cable to a 3COM Superstack II hub,
> to which Windows 95, 98 and 2000 systems are also connected)

these should be fine, hardware wise. you may want to check 2.1.5's
supported hardware list, just in case. since that is no longer online..
you'll have to dig it up on disk1, HARDWARE.TXT. oddly enough, i don't
have a copy of FreeBSD 2.1.5 anymore. i do have 2.2.7 still, though.
scary.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche