Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:23:17 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Philipp Westphal (aka WaSa)" <wasa@dark-waves.de>
Cc:        "mobile@freebsd.org" <mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 560x tp

> Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 00:00:14 +0200
> From: "Philipp Westphal (aka WaSa)" <wasa@dark-waves.de>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> i got freeBSd insatalled on an IBM tp 600, it seems that insatalling
> over cdrom isn't possible with tp's in general.. i had to boot over
> floppy and after that i was abel toinstall.
> in my older days i used debian GNU linux, there was no it was no
> problem, to boot over cdrom

You could install from CD-ROM. You just could not boot from
CD-ROM. This problem has been fixed and 4.4-Release will boot
correctly from the CD-ROM on ThinkPads.

> ps does someone know how to use the tpctl utility (linux util to set up
> tp's bios ) under freebsd, anyone tryed?
> pps ist there a possibility to set up a tp's bios without using win or
> the ps2 tooll??

Not much chance. It includes kernel modules and drivers that will
need extensive work to port. It's not impossible, but it's not going
to be easy.

IBM distributes ps2 as a bootable floppy and I just keep a copy in my
laptop case for emergency adjustments to such things. Annoying, but
better than having to boot up Windows.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)