Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 20:41:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jseger@freebsd.scds.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, jseger@freebsd.scds.com
Subject:   Re: Size of a port...

 * A few people have expressed interest in a file being stored with every port
 * that contains the size of the installed port.  Here are a few lines that could
 * be added to bsd.port.mk to create such a file.  Please let me know what you
 * think.

 * # Target to make a size file
 *
 * .if !target(makesize)
 * makesize:
 *         @( cd ${PREFIX} ; \
 *         du -ck `${GREP} -v @ ${PLIST}` | tail -n 1 | \

"duck" sounds cute (quack, quack) but I assume you meant "du -sk"
here. :)  Also, "@" is a valid filename, you may want to grep "^@"
instead.  One more thing, why do you need to "tail" when "du -s" will
only print out one line?  (Do du error messages go to stdout?)

 *                 ${AWK} '{print $$1}' > ${FILESDIR}/size )
 *         @${ECHO} ">> Size of ${PKGNAME} is: `${CAT} ${FILESDIR}/size`k"

We may want to put this in the package too.  (I know you can take a
look at the size of the package file itself but it's still not the
same thing.)  Any ideas on how to go about that?

Satoshi