Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:42:31 +0100
From:      Chive <lex@blacktrap.net>
To:        "Hansen, Preben" <Preben.Hansen@voicestream.com>
Cc:        "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installation question

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 10:33:24AM -0800, Hansen, Preben wrote:
> I have resently invested in the FreeBSD 4.0 powerpack. But I cannot install
> it.
> I never get past the F? prombt (I have already installed Win98se).
> I did go through the FAQ to find a solution. I tried to do as it is
> described in "Which geometry should I use for a disk drive".
> Unfortunately I end up with 2549 cylinders for my 20G IDE harddisk. This is
> the lowest amount of cylinders I can set. And I can still not get past the
> F? prombt.
>
> Can it really be true that I can't run FreeBSD from my 20GB harddisk. If so
> why doesn't it say so on the "Power Pack" package ?
> Please respond ASAP. I have already been asking this question several times,
> without getting an answer.

There is a restriction in FreeBSD 4.0 and earlier, where you must have your
root partition (the one mounted under '/') located below the 1024 cylinders. If
that is the problem, you will be presented with the 'F1 F2' choice, but will
not be able to select the FreeBSD one (can't recall the symptom, I think it
just beeps).
You can either make a FreeBSD partition at the beginning of the disk (the root
partition can be very small, around 100M is more than enough if you are
careful) and put the rest of the partitions at the end, or install a more
recent version of FreeBSD. You might be reluctant to do this since you have
bought the CD, but if you have a free internet connection you can do the whole
install from the net. Cheaper cds are also available to order online ($5 from
cheapbytes).

--
Chive.