Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 2004 01:35:18 -0800
From:      Dave Tweten <tweten@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Java Plugin & Linux Firebird

I've finally abandoned Linux Netscape Navigator 4.8 and have been trying
to upgrade to Mozilla Firebird.  Firebird itself, and the Shockwave Flash
plugin work fine but Java plugins have been resisting me.  It might be
time to take a step back and ask some questions:

1. Does linux-mozillafirebird actually even need a Java plugin?  I've
   been trying to install one because native Mozilla Firebird required
   java/jdk14, or it would complain (according to the build messages
   for Firebird).  But, there aren't any build messages to similar
   effect with linux-mozillafirebird.

   Incidently, I abandoned native Mozilla Firebird because the Linux
   plugin wrapper required a modification to the 4.9 distribution source,
   and I don't want to have to make manual changes to the source every
   time I cvsup the latest from STABLE.

2. If linux-mozillafirebird doesn't need a Java plugin, what are the
   Blackdown, IBM, and Sun plugins good for, anyway?

3. If it does need a plugin, what are the relative advantages of
   linux-blackdown-jdk14, linux-ibm-jdk14, and linux-sun-jdk14?

4. Again, assuming that a plugin is needed, how do I provide
   linux-ibm-jdk14 and linux-sun-jdk14 with a libgcc_s.so.1 file,
   or provide linux-blackdown-jdk14 with the symbol,
   GetGlobalServiceManager__16nsServiceManagerPP17nsIServiceManager?
   They each complain that something is missing when
   linux-mozillafirebird starts.

Any help will be appreciated.
--
M/S 258-5                    |1024-bit PGP fingerprint:|tweten@nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center    | 41 B0 89 0A  8F 94 6C 59|     (650) 604-4416