Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 1998 10:52:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.maxbaud.net>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem Lockups

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Bruce Evans wrote:

> >	I have a machine with 3-33.6 Modems in it for dialins.  About
> >every 3rd or 4th time, the second modem locks up.  Mgetty cannot get it to
> >reset.  I can `cu' to it but everything I type is ignored.  Basically, is
> >there anything when it gets in this state to make it recover?
> >
> >	brian
> >
> >	Specifics
> >
> >Intel Pentium OverDrive 83.33MHz
> >32MB RAM
> >-current as of yesterday (started with older version)
> >3 - 33.6 Atlas Fax/Data modems
> >	ttyd1  0x2f8, 3
> >	ttyd2  0x3e8, 7    (LPT1 disabled)
> >	ttyd3  0x2e8, 12   (No Mouse port)
>
> Are you sure irq7 is really disabled?  lpt0 normally uses it.  Swap hardware
> to eliminate possibility of bugs in the second modem.
>
> Bruce

Yes, I am sure.  This computer is so old that it doesn't lpt0 on the
motherboard.  I have a IDE card installed, not a Multi-IO card.  There are
no com ports or printer ports in this machine (unless you count the
modems).  I do have an old SB-16 installed, but not being used/recognized.
It is there to provide the 2ndary IDE bus for my CD-ROM.

	brian