Date:      13 Dec 2000 10:32:30 -0500
From:      Allan Strand <stranda@cofc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   trying to get a linux binary to talk to a FBSD java frontend

Hi all,

I'm trying to get some genetic analysis software running on my
machine.  The program I am interested in is available as a set of
linux binaries (as well as the usual MS windows, mac etc.).  The
software is contructed so that there is a front end providing all user
interface written in java and an engine written in c/c++.  The authors
distribute the software as binaries only, but they clearly say that if
you have jdk1.1.7 or greater installed on your machine, you only need
to install the engine portion and it will interact correctly with
java.

I am tracking 4.x-STABLE branch and I have installed jdk1.1.8 from the
ports collection.  I naively thought that I could run the engine
portion under linux emulation and use the FBSD version of jre.

When I tried the above strategy, I received the following error
message:

--
Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread
Could not create Java VM

If it is not already obvious, I am completely ignorant of java issues.

Any ideas?

cheers,
Allan

--