Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:01:08 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1044806469.1eb766@mired.org>
To:        "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Determining Ram

In <20030204044422.73BD248463@wastegate.net>, Doug Reynolds <mav@wastegate.net> typed:
> On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 20:02:30 -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> >> use the command dmesg
> >It may no longer be available there. The dmesg at boot time is
> >preserved in /var/run/dmesg.boot. The information should be there,
> >even if it's gone from dmesg.
> thats is kinda of odd, is that with 5.0-release?
> any clues on why?

That's with any version of FreeBSD. And the kernel dmesg buffer is
only so big. As other messages come in, older ones get flushed. SO if
you've been up long enough, you can lose the original boot
messages. If you boot single user and work there before going
multiuser, you can lose them in /var/run/dmesg.boot, even.

	<mike