Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 03:28:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        luoqi@watermarkgroup.com (Luoqi Chen)
Cc:        Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, luoqi@watermarkgroup.com, mckusick@flamingo.McKusick.COM
Subject:   Re: Yet another patch to try for softupdates panic

> Yes, there's a race here, and also a couple of other places VOP_FSYNC() are
> called.
>
> > You could tweak this call to VOP_FSYNC() to get it to avoid  the
> > call to softdep_fsync(), but how many other places in the kernel
> > also need to be fixed?  It may be better to only call softdep_fsync()
> > from within the fsync() syscall handler.  I don't know that any other
> > users of VOP_FSYNC() need to ensure that the parent directories are
> > pushed to disk.
>
> I totally agree. This is the way to go. I'll try this and let you know
> how it turns out.

I would be wary of this; specifically, consider the case of a
softdep mounted root with a /dev directory, and the need to
commit dirty blocks to a specfs device.

I believe that Julian can comment on this, since we looked at this
in the early days of the "sync not honoring dependency order" bug,
and decided that there was a problem with the vm object commits
for the devices themselves, and thus for things like the
superblock and other "external" metadata.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.