Date:      Sun, 05 Apr 1998 15:48:59 -0500
From:      "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
To:        "Ross McFarland" <rwmcfa1@pop.uky.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the su command and specifing who can telnet

At 02:10 PM 4/5/98 -0400, Ross McFarland wrote:

<excerpt><smaller>I have two hopefully quick questions.

</smaller>

<smaller>1) I've found and understand how the ftp access is controlled by
a file, where and\or how can I control who can access the server by
Telnet?  I have a user name for apache to run under and would like to
restrict its ability to log in from any where other than the console.

</smaller></excerpt>

<excerpt>

Not sure on this one, but you could change the shell of the apach acount
to...passwd( or whatever) then use su if tlnet access is needed....

</excerpt>

#chsh grunty

#Changing user database information for grunt.

Login: grunt

Password: hstTDhGgwy2vS7o

Uid [#]: 1000

Gid [# or name]: 11000

Change [month day year]:

Expire [month day year]:

Class: default

Home directory: /home/grunty

Shell: /usr/bin/passwd

Full Name: grunty

Location:

Office Phone:

Home Phone:

<smaller>2) how do I allow a user to su to root.  I've tried setting
group to 0(wheel) and using the log in class root, staff and everything
else I can think of in every combination.  when I try it always
says</smaller>

Just add the user to /etc/group ....For example..

:32pm@cplkagan/etc>more group

wheel:*:0:root,me,nextuser

daemon:*:1:daemon

kmem:*:2:root

The beer is too cold, the daiquiris too fruitful, there's no place like home!

Jimmy Buffett "The weather is here, Wish you were beautiful"

Jon Lyons

parrothd@midwest.net

87 HONDA VFR700

http://cplkagan.dyn.ml.org/