Date:      Fri, 05 Apr 2002 04:08:54 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@freebsd-services.com>
To:        stephen macmanus <stephenm@bayarea.net>
Cc:        brian@freebsd-services.com, alan@clegg.com, ambrisko@ambrisko.com, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, imp@village.org, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, luigi@FreeBSD.ORG, nsayer@FreeBSD.ORG, ryand-bsd@zenspider.com, brian@freebsd-services.com
Subject:   Re: Your change to in.c to limit duplicate networks is causing trouble

> > >     One effect of the masked EEXIST is to suppress the spurious error
> > >     which occurs when adding an alias IP address (SIOCAIFADDR) on the
> > >     same logical subnet as an existing IP address. Users have no way
> > >     of knowing that it's actually safe to simply ignore the error in
> > >     that situation, so the masking should probably be preserved.
> >
> > Hmm, thanks for the pointer.
> >
> > I think this now works - where it didn't before (although see
> > the new patch posted in response to Joergs mention of the sppp
> > problem).
> >
> > The lack of the EEXIST hack in my patch means that this will work as
> > before:
> >
> >     ifconfig dc0 inet 172.16.0.5 netmask 0xffffff00
> >     ifconfig dc0 inet 172.16.0.11 netmask 0xfffffff8
> >
> >     Where connections to 172.16.0.1-172.16.0.7 and 172.16.0.16-172.16.0.255
> >     come from 172.16.0.5 and connections to 172.16.0.8-172.16.0.15 come from
> >     172.16.0.11.
> >
> >     After the above however,
> >
> >     ifconfig dc0 inet 172.16.0.14 netmask 0xfffffff8
> >
> >     will (correctly) fail in the patched code.  It fails because the
> >     gateway/netmask combination produces a duplicate key in the routing
> >     table, returning an error from rtinit().  Previously, this failure
> >     was masked by the EEXIST hack, allowing the interface address update
> >     without a corresponding host route.
>
>      All true. However, this change just redefines the desired behavior
>      in this situation. The current EEXIST hack prevents a "meaningless"
>      error message (in the sense that it is still possible to use the
>      172.16.0.14 address due to the existence of the earlier route).
>
>      This patch just restores the original behavior from earlier BSD
>      versions which reported an error for the reasons you mention.
>
>      I guess it's just a judgement call as to which one is more desirable.
>
> >    I believe the old behaviour becomes obviously wrong when someone then
> >    deletes the 172.16.0.11 interface address, blowing away the
> >    associated host route and leaving no routing table entry to talk to
> >    the 172.16.0.14 address.
> >
> >    So I don't think the old was was really safe after all :-/
>
>      Definitely true. An ideal solution would involve some type of
>      reference count for the route entry to maintain connectivity
>      without attempting to add a duplicate route which would always
>      cause an error.
>
>      It would be even easier if users didn't setup redundant addresses
>      like this one which serve no purpose! ;-) The people who do it,
>      however, are also the most likely to think the resulting error
>      indicates an actual problem with the new address assignment.

Well, it does serve a purpose - it allows the machine to accept
tcp connections on the .14 address (although udp requests get nicely
confused) and to bind to the .14 address before connect().

The resulting error *does* indicate that there's a problem with the
new address assignment;  adding that .14 address with a conflicting
netmask should be considered wrong (and is treated as an error when
the EEXIST hack is removed).  If they want to add another address to
the 172.16/28 subnet, they must use a netmask of 0xffffffff to get
the desired result.

The EEXIST hack is just permitting people to confuse themselves.

--
Brian <brian@freebsd-services.com>                <brian@Awfulhak.org>
      http://www.freebsd-services.com/        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>